Emigrating from Ireland to Europe


General Information

Irish citizens can live, work and travel within the EU. Our ‘Leaving Ireland for Europe’ leaflet contains useful information on what to consider if you are moving to another European country from Ireland.



If you are considering studying in Europe, the European Universities Central Application Support Service (EUNICAS) can assist you with this. Many courses across Europe are offered through English and fees are often much lower than in Ireland. Entry requirements are usually quite different also so it is important to do some research and get advice before applying. 


Working and Social Insurance

You can also get more information about living and working in Europe from your local EURES (EURopean Employment Services) Advisor – go to for contact details.

If you are leaving Ireland for Europe to seek work, you should get form E104 and form U1 (formerly E301) from the International Records Section of the Department of Social Protection. These forms provide details of your Irish social insurance record and will be required if you need to claim sickness, maternity or unemployment benefits while you are living in another European country. To apply for these forms, download and complete the application form available at the following link:

Once completed, send your application to the following address with a copy of your P45, a copy of your P60 and your address abroad:

International Records Section
Department of Social Protection
McCarter's Road
Tel: +353(0) 1 471 5898
Locall: 1890 690 690 (from Ireland)

If you are in receipt of an Irish State Pension (Contributory) and are moving to another EU/EEA country or if you are being posted abroad by your employer to another EU/EEA country, you should request form S1 (which replaced forms E106, E109, E120 and E121) prior to your departure from Ireland as it shows that you are still covered by the Irish health system for a future period.

Contact the Health Service Executive on 1850 24 1850 (Open 8am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday) for more information on how to apply.


Useful Contacts

  • EU/International Records Section
    Department of Social Protection, McCarter\\\'s Road, Ardarvan, Buncrana, Co. Donegal, Ireland
    Tel: 1890 690 690 (from within Ireland)
    If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call +353 1 471 5898
  • PRSI Refund Section
    Department of Social Protection, Oisín House, 212-213 Pearse Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
    Tel: 01 673 2586 (from within Ireland)
    If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 1 673 2586

Useful Links