Emigrating from Ireland to Australia



If you are thinking of going to Australia, start by doing some research on the various visa options available to you as an Irish citizen. Full details of these are available on the website of the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship at

If you are thinking of going on a Working Holiday, take a look at our Guide to Working Holidays.

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is an option for people aged 18 to 30, but there are also other short term options like the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), which allows skilled workers work for an approved business in Australia for up to four years. Permanent options are also available mainly to independent and sponsored skilled workers. To get an idea of which visas may be avilable to you, try this tool from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship - If you are thinking of using a Visa Agent or Migration Specialist to help you with your visa application, make sure that they are registered with the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) - see for more information. 


Get Support

Irish Australian support organisations are a good way to find out more about your chosen location & many also run activities which can help you meet people in your local area. We have put together a list of these at



For information on working in Australia's Fly-In Fly-Out (FIFO) sector, see


Further Information

Our ‘Going to Australia’ booklet is a little outdated but will give you an overview of the sort of things to consider if you are thinking of going to Australia. The useful links below will help you to find up to date information to help you plan your move to Australia, and you can also check out this excellent Australia guide by the Irish Times Abroad at


Useful Links

Department of Immigration and Citizenship Contact Centre, London

Australian High Commission, Australia House, Strand, London WC2B 4LA
Tel: +44 207 856 1563

Visa Info: