It's helpful to find out a little more information before you make the decision to return to Ireland.
Advice from other returnees
If you want to chat to others who have either already moved back or are thinking of doing so, you'll want to check out:
- Ireland Move Club - a forum for Irish people returning from the USA
- Irish Expats Returning to Ireland - a facebook page for anyone moving back to Ireland from abroad
Other useful resources
- Global Irish contains lots of information from the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade on coming home – see www.dfa.ie/global-irish/coming-home/
- The Citizens Information can give you a good overview of what to consider when making your decision - click here or go to www.citizensinformation.ie
- You'll find loads of articles by people who have already made the move back at Irish Times Abroad section on returning to Ireland. There's also this detailed guide on Moving Home from Abroad
- Safe Home Ireland have this great list of FAQ's on returning to Ireland
Prison release and returning to Ireland
The Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas (ICPO) can provide information, advocacy and support to Irish people in prison abroad and their families. They have two offices:
- The one in London works with Irish born prisoners in the UK
- The one in Maynooth works with Irish prisoners in the rest of the world
You can read their leaflet, ‘Irish Prisoners Overseas: A Step-By-Step Guide to Preparing for Release’ and also see thier website www.icpo.ie for more information.
Need information on Irish citizenship?
The best places to find information on Irish citizenship are:
- The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship
- The Department of Foreign Affairs - www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/
- The Citizens Information - www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html