Before You Go

Here’s what you need to know before you go:

  1. Be prepared
  2. Bring your essential documents
    • Make sure you have a valid passport, your birth certificate, your driving licence and the appropriate visa if required. Make copies and save them to your email
    • Bring evidence of your qualifications and references from your previous employers
    • Make sure your CV is up to date
    • If you were became an Irish citizen by naturalisation you’ll need to register every year you live abroad to make sure you keep your Irish citizenship. Download and complete form 5 from then send it to Citizenship Declarations, Department of Justice Office, Rosanna Road, Tipperary Town, Ireland
  3. Money matters
    • Save money in advance
    • Find out if you can use your Irish bank cards in your chosen destination. Ask your bank and make sure you let them know before you go
    • Try to use cards rather than cash but have a small amount of cash in the local currency just in case
    • Have enough money to support yourself until you find a job or in case of emergency
    • Get an idea of the cost of living where you are going – see
  4. Get travel and medical insurance
    • Get travel insurance
    • Research the healthcare system in your chosen country, and consider getting private health insurance
    • If you are going to an EU country for a short time get a European Health Insurance Card from your local Health Office before you go – see for details
  5. Have some contacts where you are going
  6. Don’t travel without…
    • A valid passport and at least one other form of photo ID
    • An entry or work visa if it is required. If you don’t have a work permission or the right visa you could be facing a jail sentence or deportation
    • Medical prescriptions and records if you need regular medication or have an existing medical condition
  7. Remember…
    • Give yourself time to adjust. Things will be different to Ireland and this is all part of the experience
    • Leave a copy of your planned itinerary with family or friends in Ireland
    • Mind yourself and check out for advice from others who’ve made the move

If you are thinking of going abroad and would like some more information, contact us by phone at 01 873 2844 or by email at You can also read our #3thingstoknow before you go articles.