Returning in Crisis

Homeless on arrival

If you have returned to Ireland and you are homeless, you should go to the Local Authority (City or County Council) in the area which you last lived to request emergency accommodation assistance.

If you are in Dublin, contact the Homeless Freephone on 1800 707 707.

You will usually need to make an application for social housing before the Local Authority can provide you with emergency accommodation (usually in a hostel or B&B).

Social Welfare Payments if you are Homeless

It is possible to access a social welfare payment if you are homeless, however you will need to place an application and undergo an assessment.

If you are in Dublin contact the relevant Homeless Person Persons Unit (HPU):

Department of Social Protection Homeless Persons Unit/Community Welfare Service 1800 724 724 / 01 6732030

For social welfare payments outside of Dublin contact the local Community Welfare Officer.

Offices are closed on weekends and on Bank Holidays.

Emergency Medical Help

If you are in need of emergency medical assistance on your return, go to the Accident & Emergency department of the nearest hospital or call 999 or 112.


If you are deported back to Ireland from abroad, make sure to bring:

  • Photo ID (your passport or a copy of your Emergency Travel Document)
  • Proof of your Deportation (your release papers or a letter from the relevant Irish Embassy)

Once you can provide proof of your deportation, you should be able to access a social welfare payment on return. Contact us if you need help with accessing social welfare, health and housing supports on your return.

Release from prison abroad

Contact the Irish Council for Prisoners Overseas before you return. Call +353 1 5053156 or email You can also download this ‘Resettlement Handbook‘ along with our ‘Step-By-Step Guide for returning to Ireland if you are being released from prison overseas/deported‘ and see their website

Help abroad

If you need help in the country you are in, contact your local Irish Embassy or Consulate. You can also contact the Consular Assistance Unit in Dublin by phone on +353 1 408 2000. You could also contact a local Irish emigrant support organisation.

Contact us or the Safe Home Programme if you or someone you know might need help on return.