Registering with the Immigration Service or GNIB

A visa is often confused with residence permission, but they are two different things. A visa allows you to enter Ireland if you are from a visa-required country but does not allow you to stay for longer than 90 days. You need a residence permission to live in Ireland. The different types of residence permissions are referred to as “stamps”. Immigration Officers issue these stamps. When you register, you get an Irish Residence Permit card. (IRP card, also known as GNIB card).

  • I want to register for the first time

    I live in Dublin, Kildare, Meath or Wicklow:

    Book an appointment to register with the Burgh Quay Registration Office. The appointment can be booked over the phone at 1800 800 630.

    When calling the Freephone the operator will ask for the following details:

    • First name
    • Middle name (if any)
    • Surname
    • Date of birth
    • Nationality
    • Email address
    • Passport number

    Once the appointment is booked, the operator will send you an email to confirm your appointment. Print this confirmation email and bring it with you for the appointment.

    At the in-person appointment, bring your permission letter (if applicable) and any relevant documents required to register your permission. Find the list of required documents here.

    If your permission is dependent on another person (such as spouse or child), this person must attend the appointment with you.

    After the appointment, your Irish Resident Permit (IRP) card is posted to you. This usually takes approximately 10-15 working days. The fee for an IRP is €300. You pay by credit/debit card or by bank giro. To know if you are exempt from paying the fee, see this link.

    If you live outside Dublin, Kildare, Meath or Wicklow:

    Book an appointment with your local Garda District Headquarters. Find the contact details of your local Garda District Headquarters on

    • I want to renew my GNIB / IRP card

      Do not forget to check the conditions of renewal of your stamp! If you have a permission letter from the Department of Justice, the conditions of renewal are mentioned at the bottom of the letter. It tells you if you need to write to the relevant Unit in the Department of Justice or if you just need to renew directly with your local registration office. You have doubts? please contact us and we will help you identify what the next step is for your renewal.

      I live in Dublin, Kildare, Meath or Wicklow:

      You must use the online system to get a new IRP card.

      When you register for first time on the registration webpage, you need to create an account by clicking on ‘Register here’ at the bottom of the page. You need to use your own email address and create a password to be able to log in into the account. You need your account details every time you renew your GNIB/ IRP card, so keep it safe.

      When you already have an account, just log in using your email address and password.

      Find out more details about how to create an account and how to complete an online renewal application here.

      ● When you make an online application for renewal, you might have to pay €300 depending on the permission you are renewing. To access the payment page, make sure to select the appropriate immigration permission on the online form.

      ● When you renew your residence permission online, you do not need to submit your passport to get it stamped. Your IRP card is the proof that you have a valid residence permission in Ireland. Make sure to keep a copy of your old IRP card as you might need it in the future, for example when applying for citizenship.

      Still have questions regarding online renewal? Please do not hesitate to contact us.

      I live outside Dublin, Kildare, Meath or Wicklow:

      Book an appointment with your local Garda District Headquarters. Find the contact details of your local Garda District Headquarters on

      Keep your IRP card safe. This card gives information about your immigration status. When traveling abroad and coming back to Ireland, you are required to show this card to the immigration office in charge of border control.

    • After I register

      Keep your immigration status up-to-date and keep your expired GNIB / IRP cards as passports are no longer stamped. It is important to know the dates of your previous permissions.

      Keep in mind that if you need to write to the Department of Justice for the renewal, do it at least 2 months before the expiry date of your permission. When you renew your permission, we recommend you do it 2 months in advance of the expiry date of your permission to make sure there will be no gap between your stamps.

      Still have questions about getting your IRP? contact us.

Page last updated 30/09/2022